Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chili

Chili.

There are so many different versions!  Here's my version, which I use most frequently.  But, it's never the same!  I am always adding new weird things (like I did tonight), or too much cumin (I did this tonight, too!) or SOMEthing. 

Chili a la Janet
3 cups dried beans
5 1/2 cups water
3 green peppers
1 or 2 onions
4+ cloves garlic
(today I did 2 shredded carrots and 1/2 head cauliflower)
28oz can crushed tomatoes
2+ tsp salt
pepper
1 TBS cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder
(2 tsp kelp powder-- adds a little salt and nutrition, totally optional!  I only use it because I have it)

Soak beans. Cook beans, peppers, onions, garlic, other veggies in a pot for 2-3 hours on the stove or 8-10 hours in the crock pot.  Add the tomatoes and the spices after the beans have cooked. Adjust spices to your liking.  Sometimes I brown 1 lb. stew meat and put it in with the beans, or sometimes 1 lb ground beef.

We used to put all kinds of stuff on/in our chili-- macaroni noodles mixed with chili with a healthy dose of cheese, sour cream and hot sauce on top is my favorite way to eat it!  But, since we have cut back on dairy, we haven't had cheese or sour cream in the house.  And since I stopped buying white flour noodles, I haven't had macaroni in the house, either.  I still enjoy a great bowl of chili with hot sauce.  Especially on a cold, rainy day like today.

Do you  make chili?  What do YOU like in your chili?  Do you use toppings?

No comments:

Post a Comment