Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Green Trail Mix Pancakes

Yes, that is actually the name of one recipe.  How exactly did I marry Green, Trail Mix and Pancakes?  Why exactly would I do that? 

Yesterday when I asked Ben what he wanted for breakfast (he was the only one up at the time), I expected a 'normal' answer-- oatmeal, Ben's cereal, pancakes, french toast.... you know, normal breakfast food. 

Ben said, "What we had yesterday for lunch: almond butter and jelly, strawberries, peppers and chips."  I started to say, "That's lunch food!  We can have that for lunch-- what do you want for breakfast?"  But instead, I decided it didn't really matter.  Who cares if you have a sandwich for lunch or breakfast? We had the same thing again today for breakfast, too.  :-)

So, today for lunch, I decided to have breakfast.  But, I wanted it to be healthy and packed with delicious things.  So I came up with Green Trail Mix Pancakes! I used my basic pancake recipe and just added a bunch of stuff to it. :-)


Green Trail Mix Pancakes
1 cup flour
3/4 milk or water
2 TBS oil or butter
1 egg (or 2 TBS flax meal)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 TBS honey or sugar or maple syrup (I don't always put sugar in but today I wanted to go syrup-less, so I added a bit of sweetness to the batter)
1/4 cup oats
1 cup blanched, pureed spinach
2 TBS raisins
2 TBS chocolate chips
2 TBS sunflower seeds
1 TBS hemp seeds
1/4 fresh blueberries

I blanched the spinach and then put it in the blender with the water and the egg.  Then I transferred it into a bowl and added all the other ingredients and mixed well.  Finally I cooked them in my cast iron skillet.  Delicious!

Think of the possibilities!  You can add anything to pancakes!  And it could be a meal!  What would you add?

1 comment: