Thursday, February 10, 2011

Millet/corn pizza crust

For dinner I am making pizza with millet/corn pizza crust. It is a little watery due to the corn flour. I will have to update on the results!

Okay, so here are the updated results:

I used a recipe for millet flatbreads that I found.  Except, I didn't have enough millet flour... so I used corn flour instead. Well, that wasn't a great idea.  The millet reacts COMPLETELY differently in the recipe than the corn.  So, if you try this recipe, make sure you have MILLET.

2 Cups millet flour
2 Cups hot water
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBS cilantro, chopped (optional)

Boil the water, and add the millet.  Simmer for two minutes. Stir the millet flour with the hot water and add salt.  Let it sit for 10 minutes.  It should form a firm dough.  Mix in cilantro.  Roll out on pizza stone or cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with corn flour (or millet flour). I have been flouring the sheet, putting the dough on, put on some plastic wrap and spread it out evenly.  I also started using a jelly roll pan instead of my pizza pans, but they would work too.  Bake at 400* for about 20 minutes.  Add your favorite toppings and bake for another 15-20 minutes.


 Here are the toppings I used:  Zucchini, onions, broccoli, eggplant, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, homemade pizza sauce (So easy!  Will post my recipe some other day!), parsley, and leftover spread from my eggplant chips


Okay, so the "final product picture" is really ugly-- the crust as I made it stuck to the pizza pans really badly, and by the time we got it on the plate, it was more like pizza heap than slices. I added some sprouts to mine! Overall, everyone really enjoyed this experiment, despite the crust being a failure.  I will definitely be trying this again--with all millet next time! 

***Updated April 29, 2011 to include more accurate directions.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment