Monday, February 7, 2011

Leftovers!

I love leftover night!  I barely have to cook, my kitchen stays relatively in tact, less dishes to do.  Tonight we had some leftover lamb and pea curry with rice.  There wasn't enough to serve as the whole meal, but I whipped up some simple sweet potato soup to complement.  It was fast, easy and best yet, popular!

Last week I made the Lamb and Peas Curry with Rice for dinner.... I roasted acorn squash and stuffed them with the curry.  MMM.  The rich flavors of the lamb and peas went so well with the sweetness of the acorn squash.  This is the only way I've found that Chris actually likes acorn squash. The boys go crazy over this dish.  Both of them had a half of a squash stuffed with about a 1/2 cup of curry! At 2 and 4, I have no idea what I am going to do with them when they grow bigger!  They eat so much already!

The sweet potato soup was really simple and easy.  I sauteed one small onion in olive oil.  Then I added three peeled and diced sweet potatoes (I used white, but yams work great too!) I covered the potatoes with water (Chicken stock would have really added extra flavor!). When the potatoes were done, I used my immersion blender to make a nice smooth soup.  I added some nutmeg(1/8 tsp), paprika(1/4 tsp), ginger(1/8 tsp), salt(1/2 tsp, or to taste) and pepper(to taste). Finally, I stirred in about a 1/4 cup of coconut milk and garnished with fresh chopped parsley. It was so easy, and it only took about 30 minutes start to finish. 

Alright, I have rambled enough.  I still have some recipes to share with you soon! 
  • Eggplant Crackers
  • Sesame Crackers (Gluten Free!)
  • Orange Pecan Bread
-Janet.

No comments:

Post a Comment