Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pumpkin Loaf

I made this pumpkin loaf for breakfast last weekend.  It was so good.  I just love fall and baking with fall ingredients, namely, apples and pumpkin.

I get crookneck squash from our CSA almost every week in the fall.  They are big and meaty, and I use them like I would pumpkin.

Then I was reading Laura's post over at granolalola.com, and this bread caught my eye stomach.  I simply had to make it.

Since I made it in the morning, and as Laura pointed out, this was a bit of an involved recipe, I poured the batter into an 8x8, hoping it would cook faster.  It cooked in about 40 minutes instead of the 55-60 for the loaf. The cake was still nice and thick and delicious.  Moist. Yum.  If you wanted to stretch this recipe into even more pieces, I bet you could put it in a 9x13.  That would cut the cooking time even more!

I made only a few (inconsequential) changes to the recipe-- I used 6 TBS butter instead of butter + apple butter (none on hand).  I also had to make up my own pumpkin pie spice, since I had none.  I just kind of threw in cinnamon and nutmeg with a little allspice and some cloves.

Finally, I just want to mention, the sweetness in this recipe is perfect.  Usually I cut the sugar in every recipe in half, right from the beginning.  This time, I put in the prescribed amount, maybe a little less (sometimes, if it calls for 1/2 cup but I have my 1/3 cup out, I'll do a heaping one and call it a day...) and it was great.

Looking forward to baking another squash and making recipe again soon!

ps. please go look at Laura's photos and excuse my ugly phone pic... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment