Saturday, October 6, 2012

Hummus Sandwich

I have been trying to replace peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in my house.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE peanut butter and jelly, but we have really been trying to reduce the amount of sugar we eat, and one place I know we have a lot is in sandwiches. 

Also, there is a new problem which my MIL stumbled upon and had to share with me.  I don't know what I am going to do about it yet.  This video is all about wheat and how bad it is for you and how if you eat two pieces of bread it affects your blood sugar as much as 6 TEASPOONS of sugar and how if you go off wheat it will cure all your problems. Still thinking on it, and it will have to be another post, another day when I have come to a decision as to what in the world to do about it.

ANYway, back to the sandwiches.  I want to come up with new ideas. 

One day in June, my mom and I stopped at this cafe in Baltimore for a quick snack for the kids.  We didn't want to get them a cookie or a brownie, but what else? We asked the guy behind the counter what they had that was kid friendly, and he started listing off PB&J, cookies, blah, blah, hummus on toast... My mom and I looked at each other and we nearly shouted at him, YES! Hummus on toast.  I didn't get much of that sandwich (it was supposed to be for the kids), but I have been dreaming about it ever since. Until this week. :-)

I give you my newest sandwich obsession:
Homemade hummus on toast with cucumber and tomato slices. Delish.


No comments:

Post a Comment