Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cooking Tip #4

Well, folks, I can't really qualify this as a cooking tip.  More like a "cooking/heating" tip...

I have recently jumped head-first into the soaking/sprouting world of preparing grains, legumes, seeds and nuts.  I hope to share my new resolutions (of sorts, I guess that's appropriate, since it's the new year!) with you soon.  :-)  But for now, let's just say my (FIL's) dehydrator has made a reappearance in my kitchen!

Today I soaked almonds.  Soaking helps to make the almonds more easily digestible.  I don't know a whole lot about it at this point, but I kind of see it as giving my tummy and intestines a bit of a break.  :-)

So, after I soaked the almonds (8-12 hours), I put them in the dehydrator at about 145* for 12-24 hours, or until they are crispy.  Well, I set up the dehydrator in its usual spot-- the dining room. 

Chris walked by the dehydrator, and pointed out I had placed it in the wrong place.  I agreed, and we moved it-- to our bedroom!  It's the coldest room in the house, and the dehydrator is set at 145*!  So I'm looking forward to my room possibly being warm-ish tonight.  :-)

Please excuse the mess all around... but I just had to show you! 

 My tip for today-- use your dehydrator to heat your house!

No comments:

Post a Comment