Thursday, July 21, 2011

Zucchini... Series, Part II

We had a good friend over for dinner last week, and I had  made these the night before for dinner.  We ended up not eating them, so I used them the next night.  I don't usually make recipes I haven't at least tried once for people who come over for dinner, but since it was a vegetarian meal, and she's vegetarian, I thought I would just go for it.  Other than the 'meat' balls falling apart because I tried to toss them with the spaghetti sauce, they were really good.  I even surprised myself on this one!

We also had fried eggplant (from our CSA!) with this meal and Chris said, "This is the first eggplant I have ever eaten that I didn't think was gross."  .... I'll take that as a complement!

Zucchini 'Meat' Balls-- okay, for these, I'll be honest.  I'm not sure exactly what I did.  I will try and tell you and then also tell you what I would have done to make them better.
1 medium zucchini, shredded
1 1/4 cup millet flour (masa harina or even corn meal would have the same affect)
1 1/4 cup water
(1 egg) I would have added, if I had any that day!
1/2 tsp salt
some basil
some garlic, or garlic powder
-- mix everything together except the zucchini.  fold in the zucchini.  grease 24 mini muffin pans. (this could also work on a greased cookie sheet, they just might spread out a bit).  spoon a small cookie scoop amount of dough (2 tsp? 1 TBS?) into each cup.  Bake at 350* for 30 minutes, or until they start to brown around the edges.  Serve as you would meat balls.
--DO NOT mix these in with the sauce. I did that, and they kind of fell apart.  I made them with spaghetti, but I think they would work in the place of sweedish meat balls too!  Just ladle the sauce on at the table, so they don't fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment