Monday, March 7, 2011

New Recipes! Sourdough Oatmeal Apple Cake and Spinach Soup

Hi, I tried two new recipes today!  (Even kind of made them up!!)

The first is an experiment with my sourdough starter.  I started it because it is supposed to be the best way to break down the phytic acids in the grains (allowing the most nutrients to be available to your body).  One note about soaking grains:  If you use white flour only, then there is no need to soak your grains/flour.  The nutrients blocked by the phytic acid are in the bran, which has been removed from white flour.

I knew last year, right before Ellie was born that I wanted to do primarily sourdough preparation of my grains, but it has taken a long time to get there.  :-)

So, last night while I was washing dishes (when I do my best thinking) I was trying to brainstorm a new breakfast using my sourdough starter.  It needs a little work still, but I was too excited to share it with you to wait until I perfected it!

Sourdough Oatmeal Apple Cake (could be dairy and gluten free and even vegan)
1 1/4 cup flour (used wheat last night, spelt tonight)
1 cup starter (used 1/2 cup tonight)
1 egg (could substitute banana if you want to go vegan, and it would sweeten it a bit, too!)
1 cup milk (almond, coconut, cow's,...)(used half water tonight)
1/2 cup oats
3 TBS coconut sugar (will use 1/4 cup tomorrow)
2 TBS your favorite oil/fat-- butter, coconut oil, light olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp soda
1 apple (half sliced, half chopped)(trying a pear tomorrow)
cinnamon for sprinkling
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

The night before:
Combine flour, starter, milk, oats and leave on the counter


In the morning: 
Add egg, melted butter/oil, sugar, salt, soda, chopped apples and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Mix together and pour into 8x8 pan
Arrange apple slices on top and sprinkle with cinnamon
Bake at 350* for 30 minutes

Okay, on to the spinach soup!  I have been trying to figure out a way to get my little ones to eat spinach. Sam gags on it, and has even thrown up at the table from trying to swallow it. Ellie just looks at me like I'm crazy. This soup was a hit with everyone tonight!

Spinach Soup (dairy free, gluten free, vegan)
2-3 TBS butter
5 oz. spinach, chopped
Coconut milk (any milk will do, even cream if you want to make it really rich!)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a sauce pan.  Add the spices and stir them into the butter.  Add the spinach and let it wilt. Pour in the coconut milk (I probably used about a cup or 1 1/2 cups) and stir. Remove from heat and use blender or immersion blender to make it smooth.  Add coconut milk until you think it's the right consistency. Taste, add salt or pepper if necessary. Put back on the stove to warm, and serve! 

Do you have a sourdough starter?  Let me know what you think of this breakfast?  Have little ones who won't eat spinach, or don't like it yourself?  Let me know if these recipes worked for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment